- 4-5 slices bacon, cut into fourths
- 2-3 spoonfuls of bacon grease (or ¼ - 1/3 cup vegetable oil or lard)
- 1 head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped or 2 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 pinch of white sugar (optional)
- Cook chopped bacon in a deep pan over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until bacon is tender, not yet too crunchy.
- Add in additional grease. Base the amount of grease you use on how much cabbage you are going to add into the pan, you do not want your cabbage soaked in grease, just sautéed, and remember the cabbage will reduce some as it cooks and becomes tender.
- Add cabbage, onion, and sugar (optional) to the pan.
- Sauté all, stirring intermittently until the tenderness you desire is achieved. I cook mine less than my grandmothers did, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and enjoy!
Click here for a PDF version of this recipe.