Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup
(Adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into ½” pieces (or 2-3 breasts, or shred a roasted chicken)
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (can), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. of the adobo sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups of corn
- 1/3 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 c black beans
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Queso Fresco, Oaxaca cheese, or a dollop of sour cream
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, lower the heat to medium and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce, then stir in the chicken broth.
- Add corn and black beans (if adding).
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
It tastes even better after being overnight in the fridge and reheated! Top with the tortilla chips and if you like, a few slices of avocado and some cheese.