- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp yeast
- 1 ½ cup warm water
- Stir flour, salt, yeast, and water until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 8-24 hours at room temperature.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface, form into a ball and let rest for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place a high sided baking dish into the oven and preheat to 450 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cut ‘X’ across the top of the dough and turn into a hot baking dish.
- Cover dish (with lid or foil) and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool and slice.
- Crockpot crock with a lid will work fine.
- I use my smaller of the 2 metal, ceramic lined, Dutch ovens.
- Add herbs or dry Italian salad dressing to dough for a unique flavor.
- Lately I have started turning the dough out onto floured parchment paper and then just lifting the paper and dough into the Dutch oven.
For a PDF of this recipe, click here.