- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound shredded roasted chicken (or cook your own)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 - 32 oz boxes of unsalted chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta*
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves Juice & zest of 1 lemon – (optional –add thin slices of 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a stockpot. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock, bay leaves and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, rosemary, and chicken; reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender (about 10-12 minutes). Stir in lemon juice, spinach, and parsley; season with salt and pepper to taste.
*I do not cook pasta/rice in soups. I cook them separately so they do not suck up all the liquid, eliminating adding water to my recipes and keeping my pasta/rice intact as well.
Click here for a PDF version of this recipe.