- 1 lb potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 med leeks – chop whites & greens
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb cabbage or kale ½ tsp ground nutmeg (I grate nut to be fresh)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Use three pots for cooking so veggies will cook at the same rate.
- Cook the potatoes and parsnips in water until tender.
- Cook cabbage in water until tender, or steam.
- While those cook, simmer leeks in milk until soft.
- Drain potatoes/parsnips, place in large bowl.
- Season with nutmeg, garlic, salt & pepper. Beat well.
- Add the cooked leeks and milk, stir to mix.
- Finally, add the drained cabbage and butter.
The consistency should be smooth potatoes with well-distributed pieces of cabbage and leek. Sprinkle parsley on top. Nice new combo for a healthier lifestyle, sneaking in green veggies!
For crock pot:
- Layer veggies, starting with potatoes in the crock pot to cook on low if all day. (Depending on your crock pot, you may want to add 1 cup water.)
- Drain veggies, season, blend with milk and butter and garnish as above.
Click here for a PDF of this recipe.