How do I change my name when I get married?

If you wish to change your last name upon marriage, and begin using the new name immediately after the marriage ceremony be sure to make changes throughout these organizations:

Social Security – Fill out Social Security’s Form ss-5. and either mail it or take it to your nearest social security office.  Include the documents requested on the forms, which includes your marriage certificate. (ensuring they are certified copies). There is no fee for this service.

Driver's License - Bring your driver's license, social security card, and a certified copy of your marriage record to your nearest DMV

There will be a small fee for the new card. (For more information about correcting your DMV records –

Voter Registration – You can change your name for voting at the DMV office as well.

Personal Property - Notify the Commissioner of Revenue of the city in which you reside of your name change within 30 days of the change.

Address Changes - If you will also be changing your address, don't forget to notify the DMV (for both license and voting), the Commissioner of Revenue (for personal property taxes), the U.S. Postal Service and the IRS (federal taxes) 

Other - Don't forget to notify other agencies, businesses and associates that your name and/or business has changed. When updating subscription addresses, you can also update your name.

Kellam T. Parks
Managing Member of Parks Zeigler, PLLC