- 2 sticks of butter
- ½ cup Crisco shortening
- 5 eggs
- 2 scant cups of sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla or lemon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups flour (pre-sifted before adding to mixture)
- For chocolate cake add 16oz. choc syrup
- DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN
- Prepare pans by greasing them and then line with wax paper.
- Sift flour, add salt and baking powder- set aside.
- Cream the butter, Crisco, sugar together.
- Add eggs and flavoring.
- Add flour mixture. Pour into pans.
- Set in cold oven and turn to 325°.
- Bake 1 hour-1 hour and 10 mins.
- Cook on the rack for ½ hour before dumping out of the pan.
- The cake should be dense, moist and delicious!
Click here for a PDF version of this recipe.