- 2 pounds of beef roast, trimmed of fat
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth + some
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large yellow onions – halved & thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf salt & pepper
- Provolone cheese slices
- Salt & pepper the roast.
- In a large glass measuring cup, combine the beef broth & Worchester sauce - set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high and sear meat on all sides. Place meat in crockpot.
- Cook the onion in the same skillet, turned down to medium heat, cooking for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute or two. Pour the broth in and scrape off the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour over the meat in the crockpot, adding any remaining broth and the bay leaf. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove meat to a cutting board and thinly slice or shred with a fork.
- Place a fine strainer over a bowl and pour juice – this is your au jus. Set aside the onions to top sandwiches, discard bay leaf. Pour in individual dipping bowls for each person.
- We like to cut open our hoagie rolls, place ½ on a cookie sheet. Place meat on roll, onions and a slice of provolone cheese. Heat in oven until cheese is melted. Top with other ½ of the roll. Dip in a bowl of Au Jus and enjoy!