- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12oz milk chocolate, melted
- 1 cup unblanched almonds pieces (or walnuts)
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- On a foil-lined baking dish (11x7)- or in a silicone brownie bite pan (with 24 bites)- arrange almonds in a single layer. Set aside.
- In a heavy pan, combine butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Cook over medium-high heat with a wooden spoon until butter melts, stirring constantly. (REALLY STIRRING CONSTANTLY)! Bring mixture to a rolling boil. Continue boiling (AND STIRRING) an additional 5-7 minutes until candy turns the color of almonds (about 300 degrees). Pour over almonds. If using the brownie bite pan, I use a small metal scoop to get toffee into each bite, working quickly!
- Cool completely.
- When candy is cooled and set (about 2 hours), spread chocolate over top of the toffee. Sprinkle generously with ground walnuts. If doing both sides, use only half of the chocolate and walnuts. Allow top to set before flipping over and doing the bottom.
- When set, pop out of silicone pan and store in airtight containers, or cut into pieces.