- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1/3 to ½ cup of oil*
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- Green gel food coloring
- 1-2 cup of powdered sugar
- Heart-shaped sprinkles or heart-shaped Red Hots**
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix together the oil, cake mix, eggs, and food coloring. Place bowl in the fridge to firm up a little, about 20 minutes. Put powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out a ball of dough and place in powdered sugar. Roll around. You may need to roll dough by hand to get ball shape and size you prefer.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet approximately 2 inches apart. I like to line my cookie sheet with mats or parchment paper. Add one red heart sprinkle to each cookie.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, they should puff up, but will deflate some as they cool. Remember this started as a cake batter, so there should be no need to go more than 12 minutes to obtain the correct consistency. You do not want brown and/or crunchy cookies.
- Remove from pan onto cooling racks. Makes approx. 25 cookies.
*Some folks prefer the denser cookie and use more oil.
**If you are unable to find heart sprinkles (check Wilton supply stores) or heart-shaped Red Hot candies, you can always pipe a little heart with red icing, once cookies are cool.
For a PDF version of this recipe, click here.