- 10 oz package of phyllo pastry, thawed
- ¼ c unsalted butter, melted
- Mix - Confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder & ground cinnamon for dusting
- 6 Tbps unsalted butter
- 4 oz dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1 c ground almonds
- 2/3 c chopped dates
- ½ c confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp rosewater
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease an 8 inch round cake pan.
- To make the filling, melt the butter with the chocolate, then stir in the other ingredients to make a paste. Let cool.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on a clean work surface.
- Brush lightly with melted butter, then lay a second sheet on top and brush lightly with butter.
- Roll a handful of the chocolate almond mixture into a long sausage shape and place along the long edge of the layered phyllo.
- Roll the pastry tight around the filling to make a roll.
- Keep the roll even, shaping with your hands. Place the roll in the pan, coiling it around against the sides.
- Make enough rolls to fill the pan and fit them in place. Brush the coil with the melting butter.