- 3 Tbs Butter ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 heaping Tbs of flour (I use finer flour “ Wondra” from Gold Medal)
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo, finely chopped with 2 spoonfuls of the adobo sauce
- 4-5 cups of your cooked turkey stock or canned chicken stock (or combo)
- Melt butter over medium heat, add onions and allow cooking until translucent (5 mins).
- Add the flour and whisk 1 minute to allow the flour to cook.
- Add in the chipotles and the adobo sauce, then gradually whisk in the stock.
- Gravy should mix and thicken as you stir. If you like it thicker, you can let it simmer and evaporate some juice. If you do not like spicy, but like a bite – try just one chipotle.
We freeze the remaining chipotles in adobe in a freezer Ziploc bag and use them in other recipes, like chicken burritos. I have to make double this amount to satisfy my crowd and to have some saved for leftovers!
Click here for a PDF version of this recipe.