My personal injury claim is greater than the at fault party’s insurance coverage, what now?

Hopefully, you purchased enough underinsured coverage on your policy to cover the gap in what was covered by their insurance company and the expenses you have incurred. Both uninsured (UM) and underinsurance (UIM) are available when you purchase your policy (and, in fact, Virginia law mandates having both for Virginia policies) and it is a good idea to increase the limits to as much as you can afford. This will give you coverage if the other party has no insurance or if it is not enough to cover your losses. 

Man with neck injury


Kellam T. Parks
Managing Member of Parks Zeigler, PLLC