Can I adopt my girlfriend's child if the birth certificate was never signed by the bio father?

Adoption without a signed birth certificateQuestion: "Can I adopt my girlfriend's child in Ohio if the birth certificate was never signed by the bio father and [he] hasn't made contact in 3 years?"

Laws vary from state to state so you will need to seek the advice of an attorney licensed to practice law in Ohio. The lawyers at Parks Zeigler are licensed in Virginia. However, if you, your girlfriend, and child all lived in Virginia, you may be able to adopt the child. Virginia has a fairly streamlined process for step-parent adoptions should you choose to marry your girlfriend. If you still wanted to adopt her child but not marry her, the process is a bit more complicated.

Please contact us today if you have any questions about your family's Virginia custody issues!

Call us toll-free at 888-691-9319 or fill out this short form to get started. 

Visit these links for related information:

Family Law in Virginia
Do I have to pay child support if I'm not allowed to see my children?
Can I change custody/visitation arrangements after the divorce is final?