Addressing Frequently Asked Legal Questions And Concerns

  • Page 9
  • What is DCSE?

    “DCSE” is the Department of Child Support Enforcement. It is an arm of Virginia’s Department of Social Services tasked with enforcing child support. It can be involved in a case either by a request by a parent for child support (administrative orders) or be involved through the Court to assist the person seeking support. Often times payment of support is ordered by a Court through DCSE (who then administratively collects and monitors support).

    A party seeking support does not have to use DCSE if they choose to proceed with a private attorney or on their own (or after a case is concluded they prefer to be paid directly).

    What is DSCE?

  • How long does my child get child support?

    Absent an agreement between the parties to pay for a longer period of time, child support will continue to be paid for any child over the age of 18 who is (i) a full-time high school student, (ii) not self-supporting, and (iii) living in the home of the party seeking or receiving child support until such child reaches the age of 19 or graduates from high school, whichever first occurs. The court may also order the continuation of support for any child over the age of 18 who is (i) severely and permanently mentally or physically disabled, (ii) unable to live independently and support himself, and (iii) resides in the home of the parent seeking or receiving child support.[1]