Addressing Frequently Asked Legal Questions And Concerns

  • Page 1
  • Should I put a credit freeze on my child's account?

    Credit Freeze For ChildrenYes. Children are at a higher risk for credit fraud because it can remain undetected for years, recognized only when the child applies for their first credit card.  By that time, there is already significant damage to the child’s credit. Before the Equifax breach in 2017, there was a charge to apply credit freezes and the process could be a hassle. However, with the passing of the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act in 2018, credit agencies are now required to offer credit freezes (and removal of freezes) for free and honor freeze requests for children under 16.  The risk to your child(ren) makes the effort well worth it. Please contact us if you have any questions about your child’s identity protection.

  • Is a hand-written Will recognized in Virginia?

    Hand Written WillsYes, however, we strongly recommend you write your will with the assistance of an attorney to ensure that it is done properly. An improperly executed Will can lead to the unintended disposition of your assets and may burden your loved ones with the task of figuring out how to correct errors, and this can be time-consuming, stressful, and expensive. Also, a handwritten will must be proven to be in your handwriting, which could require an expensive court proceeding.

  • In a divorce, what counts as desertion or abandonment? Are they the same thing?

    abandonment or desertionWhile desertion and abandonment are usually used interchangeably in divorce cases, there is actually a distinction between the two.

    “Desertion” is the breach of the duties stemming from being married.  First, there must be a break from living together as spouses (“cohabitation”).  Second, there must be intent to desert in the mind of the deserter.  You must have both to establish desertion.  Desertion does not depend on who actually leaves the family home.  Desertion can be “constructive,” which is where one spouse commits cruelty toward the other spouse, resulting in the innocent spouse leaving the marital residence.  The innocent spouse didn’t desert the marriage by leaving, he/she left due to the bad acts of the other spouse. 

    “Abandonment” is when there is evidence to show that “ a person has left his or her spouse or his or her child(ren) in a destitute or necessitous circumstances, or has contributed nothing to their support for a period of thirty days prior or subsequent either or both to his or her departure…” 

    Virginia Code 20-95

    Virginia Code 20-81


  • Can I be Stopped for Texting when I'm Driving?

    Distracted Driving

    Yes. Due to the dangers of texting while driving, it has become illegal in many states. In Virginia, texting and driving is a primary offense. This means a police officer can pull you over if they see if you are texting and driving. A ticket for texting and driving can cost $125, and a second offense can cost $250.

    Keep in mind that if you are pulled over for texting, you could subject yourself to other issues if applicable, such as such as driving while drinking or under the influence of drugs, out of compliance registration, insurance issues, and/or inspections. 

    You shouldn’t text and drive for your safety and others – period.  Don’t add to that risk the fines and other possible legal woes. 



  • Do I have to allow visitation if I am not receiving child support?

    Yes. If your child’s other parent is not paying child support, you may not withhold visitation. On the flip side, if your child’s other parent won’t let you see your children, do not withhold child support. Either instance could lead to jail or fines. Make sure you document any and all interactions concerning the issues. If the two of you can’t resolve your problems, contact your lawyer to discuss your options.

    Parent and child holding hands

  • My child was injured in a car accident. Can I file a lawsuit on her behalf?

    Yes. Either parent may sue for the child. However, there are particular requirements for how the lawsuit must be worded, and failure to comply with those requirements can be fatal to the case.

    Importantly, the procedure for filing suit to recover for medical bills incurred by the parent or parents can be different from the action for injuries suffered by the child. Typically these two actions are combined in one lawsuit but not always.

    Finally, different statutes of limitation can apply to each action—generally two years after the child reaches the age of 18 (the child’s 20th birthday) for the injury claim but only five years after the accident for the parent’s recovery of incurred medical bills if the parent pursues that claim separately. If this sounds confusing, it can be. For this reason, it is highly recommended that anyone pursuing a claim on behalf of an injured child be represented by an experienced attorney. Consult with an attorney early on in the process to avoid potential pitfalls.

    Injury claims for children

  • Is the time in which you can sue (“statute of limitations (SOL)”) for personal injury different for children than adults?

    Yes.  The usual SOL for personal injury matters is 2 years.  For children, however, unless they have been legally emancipated, they have until they turn 20 to file a personal injury claim (age 18 when they become an adult and then the usual 2 years added to that). If they were already emancipated at the time of the accident, they have two years from the date of injury. If the injury happened before emancipation, they have two years from the date of their emancipation to file a claim.

    Statue of Limitations for car accidents

  • Can we determine custody or child support in the prenuptial agreement?

    Not advisable.  The courts always have the authority to determine custody and child support matters and will ultimately determine what is in the best interest of the children.  If you were to define custody or child support matters in a prenup, circumstances will necessarily be different should you ever separate due to the passage of time.  Therefore, the terms in any prenup would almost certainly not be enforced by a court (as courts can alter these terms even in a separation agreement if the parties later change their mind).

    Spouse signing a prenuptial agreement.

  • As a grandparent, do I have any legal Grandparent's rights?

    Grandparents visitation rights

    Not inherently. This can be complicated because in Virginia there isn’t a specific statute concerning grandparents’ rights.

    The child custody and visitation statutes refer to parents and “persons with a legitimate interest”, which can include grandparents, step-grandparents, stepparents, former stepparents, blood relatives, and family members.  The courts must consider what is in the best interest of the children and as between parents, the court will apply the ten factors in Va. Code Sec. 20-124.3 to determine visitation rights.  Parents trump grandparents, however, and if both parents are against grandparent visitation, then the grandparents have to show more than best interests of the children – they have to show actual harm would come to the children absent them having visitation.  If one parent is for the grandparent visitation, however, then the court uses the usual best interests’ standard.  

  • Can a prenuptial agreement be deemed void?

    Voiding Prenuptial Agreements

    Yes. There are a few things that could void your prenuptial agreement:  (1) If the agreement was not signed voluntarily or (2) If the agreement was unconscionable when signed (i.e. grossly unfair – though this has to be more than just lopsided; Virginia law makes it very difficult to find that an agreement is unconscionable) and, before signing, the person wasn’t provided a fair and reasonable disclosure of the property or financial obligations of the other party (assuming that this disclosure wasn’t knowingly and voluntarily waived in writing).