Education and Background
Dave landed in Hampton Roads as his last stop in the Air Force. Having begun his stint in the military with the ultimate goal of attending college and law school, his arrival in Virginia could not have been more fortunate because of its many fine colleges and universities. Upon leaving the Air Force, Dave worked as a bartender at various establishments on the Peninsula while attending Christopher Newport University and then the College of William and Mary, from which he graduated with a BA in philosophy and economics in 1990. He went on to law school at Washington and Lee University, where he was selected as a member of the Law Review before graduating in 1994.
After graduation from law school, Dave left the idyllic setting of Lexington and headed back East to secure employment. He worked with two small civil litigation firms in Virginia Beach before moving on to a midsize law firm in Norfolk in 2001, where he became a partner and remained for 16 years. In that position, Dave represented a broad range of clients, including medical practices, surgeons, psychiatrists, product manufacturers, retailers, and individuals as both plaintiffs and defendants in civil cases. Much of his practice involved advising insurance companies on the evaluation and handling of personal injury cases of various kinds. Throughout his career, Dave has frequently handled cases through conclusion at trial in state and federal courts and has tried over one hundred and fifty jury trials.
Joining Parks Zeigler
Dave got to know both Brandon and Kellam over the years in the courtroom as opposing counsel and came to know them as effective advocates with whom he shares a philosophy of zealous, but professional representation. He was very excited to join their innovative practice, which uses technology to streamline the handling of cases and to provide optimum value to clients. Dave brings his depth and breadth of civil litigation experience to Parks Zeigler, PLLC, including the value his years of experience working with insurance defense companies brings to representing individuals as plaintiffs in malpractice cases and injury cases. Since joining the firm Dave has handled major public figure defamation cases, condominium litigation and toxic mold litigation among other matters.
Honors and Recognitions
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martin-Hubbell
- Legal Elite by Virginia Business Magazine
- Top Lawyer 2020 by Coastal Virginia Magazine
- Best Lawyers 2020
- Super Lawyer by Superlawyers.com, part of Thomson Reuters
- 10.0 Rating by AVVO
- A long-standing member of the I’Anson Hoffman Inn of Court and the Norfolk/Portsmouth and Virginia Beach Bar Associations.
- Served as a volunteer with the CLASS program in Virginia Beach, assisting battered and abused spouses in obtaining protective orders.
- Taught trial practice to younger attorneys at trial practice seminars.
- Presented lectures to attorneys in Virginia for the Virginia State Bar and other organizations on trial practice issues such as the use of expert witnesses, strategies for opening statements and closing arguments, the law of damages in wrongful death cases, and other topics.
More About David
Dave was for many years an avid volleyball player and runner but has turned his attention more recently to travel, woodworking, reading, and wine appreciation. For that, his knees are grateful.