- 1 c butter – room temperature works best
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 ½ c flour (plus more for rolling out dough)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
Preparing the dough
- Measure flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt, set aside in a bowl.
- Cream butter & sugar together.
- Add eggs & vanilla, beat well.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients with the milk.
- Wrap in wax paper and chill for at least ½ hour.
- Will keep for at least 1 week in the fridge.
- Place rolls in zip lock bags or double wrap if keeping for a later day.
- You can tint the dough different colors for more festive fun. We make orange & black at Halloween. Yellow & pink at Easter. Red & green at Christmas and even blue for the 4th!
Baking the cookies
- Flour a surface to roll dough out onto, will need to keep extra flour handy to re-flour as you go along.
- Take a handful of dough and roll to about ¼ inch thick – do not make too thin or you will have crunchy cookies.
- Cut into shapes with open cookie cutters.
- Place cookies of like sizes onto baking sheets and bake until lightly golden.
- Remove from pans and cool cookies on racks. Once cooled the fun begins again!
Hint: The secret to why everyone loves our cookies best is really simple. We ice the bottom of the cookies!!! It keeps them moister & fresher longer! We usually pipe an outline around the cookies and spoon in a bit of thinner icing- um good. Then we decorate with sprinkles and other candies. I’ve never seen anyone eat just one!
Click here for a PDF of this recipe.