These quick seared Blackened Sea Scallops are coated in a homemade blend of blackened seasoning, then cooked in a cast iron skillet served with a creamy horseradish sauce. Total prep/cook time is 30 minutes.
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBS butter
- 16 large sea scallops (20 ounces) room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp prepared grated horseradish
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt black pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream, horseradish, water, mustard, and salt well and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper together well. Coat the scallops on all sides in the spice mix.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or heavy bottom oven proof pan) over medium heat, melting butter. When very hot, add the scallops and sauté one minute on each side. Transfer skillet to oven to finish cooking 4-5 minutes longer. You want scallops to be just opaque in the middle. Will likely smoke, so run your fan or open a window.
I love this dish with a crisp green salad and some riced cauliflower…… yummy!
Click here for a PDF version of this recipe.